The press and trade tasting took place in a stunning Japanese restaurant, Ginza Onadera in St. James London. Masterclasses were held by Sarah Abbott MW on the nuances of Japanese wine terroir and the skill of winemakers working within such challenging conditions.
Not only were 37 wines from across Japan showcased on the day to introduce buyers, sommeliers and press to the diverse range of wine styles that Japan is producing, but we held two sold out masterclasses to demonstrate the subtlety, diversity and elegance of these wines. We also introduced buyers and press to the dynamic work of JFOODO, a new government agency set up in 2017 to assist in the overseas promotion of Japanese food and drink and elegantly highlighted innovative new wine pairings to a variety of premium cuisines.
The event was promoted across multiple online channels including social media, Eventbrite and through press relations, and Swirl Wine Group created a beautiful tasting booklet and materials created specifically for the event.
Registrant attendance profile was comprised of 43% on-trade, 20% importers and 37% press.
- An interview was secured with Sarah Abbott MW for TheBuyer.net to promote the event and highlight Japanese wines in general. The Buyer reached the defined target audience of prestige on-trade and buyers
- Brilliant social media results, with the hastag #Japanesewine used throughout the event
- Leftover open bottles were sampled at Ginza Onadera and opened for key clientele
- The tasting was well received with attendees both surprised and delighted by the elegance of the wines
- The Orange wine particularly stood out for many guests for its quality but also to be considered as a potential root to market and to open the trading doors for Japanese wines in the UK
- Several producers are now in contact with UK importers
- Excellent feedback from all attendees
Link to full interview here: